Tuesday, April 23, 2013

10 sleeps in Taiwan (Part 1)

"The current temperature in Taipei is 27 degrees".

Anticipating to have an overlook of Taiwan from up above, the captain's announcement was my cue to wake up to look outside the window. Behold! What sight that met my eyes, nothing but endless mass of clouds, and by that I mean gloomy clouds. Hello, Gloomy Taiwan!

I got to Taiwan, with no expectations whatsoever. In fact, the only expectation I had for the entire trip was my first night's accommodation because I booked it personally, other than that, I left everything up to Taiwan to surprise me.  Now, you got to know that I went to a Chinese primary school. Having said that, my reading and conversational Mandarin skills was never really in the window to begin with, but whatever that was in the window went right outside after primary school.

I was first forced to put my very rusty Mandarin into use when I had to ask which bus to take into the city. Luckily for me, maps  of Taipei city was up for grabs upon collecting my luggage. All I needed to do, was point to the MRT station I wanted to get to and utter the word "有巴士去吗?" (got bus go there ar).




An hour later, there I was right smack in the city with my bags in hand. First thing I felt was the nice chilled air, then I noticed how grey and monotoned all the buildings were. It somewhat felt like a communist ran country, although the exact place I got off was filled with colourful signages and bright lights. It's been a while since I've been in a country solo and boy was I excited!

After I settled in my room, charged up my phone I headed out to the streets for a walk and to get myself sorted out for dinner. It was drizzling very lightly, but it was still very walkable without an umbrella. The lights from signages was overwhelming to say the least, but I liked it. I don't know why, but I feel Taipei is like a less busy, less expensive Tokyo, though I've not ever been there.

I walked around for about an hour plus before I started feeling hungry. Now, one of the first comments I got from my friends whose been to Taiwan was the food! How great it was and what not. So, naturally being a pescatarian (one who doesn't eat meat except fish), my easiest choice was to go Japanese! Unfortunately for me, the restaurant I walked into didn't have an English menu and that was when I sort of panicked. I got the waiter to kind of tell me bout their choices, I didn't even know all the names of the fishes until he mentioned something that sounded like Salmon!!

With my belly full, it was time to head back for some good shut eye because the next 9 sleeps in Taiwan was all about work.



Till the next post...! More photos then too :)

Carol


No comments:

Post a Comment